The town was initially a parish before it was officially incorporated on March 17, 1899 as the 466th town in the State of Maine. People who resided here were often times referred to as the people of the lake "Du Lac". Its official name St. Agatha was initially named "Ste. Agathe" by Bishop Healy as an autonomous parish in the lake region in 1889.
Visit our Historical Society and find out more!! Open Father's Day thru Labor Day, Tuesday thru Sunday, 1pm to 4pm.
Early Land Use Patterns
The first settler to build at the head of Long Lake was Menon Ouellette, who came from Canada and built a lumber camp on the Reginald Tardiff Farm in 1847. After cutting was completed in the spring of 1848, he decided to stay and clear land for a farm. The soil was so rich that by 1865 over thirty families had settled at the head of the lake. Since the settlement was not formally called a town, it was named "Lac A Menon". A number of years passed before a road was opened to the neighboring settlement of Dickeyville. In 1871, Dickeyville was formally organized into the town of Frenchville and "Lac A Menon" was part of Frenchville. Most of the early settlers of "Lac A Menon" came from Madawaska. In the fall of 1889, a parish was formed at "Lac A Menon" and its first Pastor was Reverend Ernest Estenaud. St Agatha was incorporated on March 17, 1899, the 466th town in the State of Maine. The town bears the name of the parish which had been established ten years earlier. The religious influence, which the community represents, was given the name --- Town of St. Agatha after the Sicilian Saint of the third century.